Re: Letter from VDO North America...

     Hmm, I too have suffered numerously with VDO odometers, primarily on
     older Mk1's I had.  They usually kick the bucket around 130k miles.

     But...I hate to say it, but this guy is right in terms of course of
     action.  Although the tone of his email was somewhat cold.  In all of
     the "drive gear fractures" (this is what has failed on me) the gear
     has been yellowed and brittle.  Most likely the result of excessive
     heat, or environment conditions as he stated.  Perhaps the VW designed
     cluster and dash needed better insulation / ventalation.

     The other main reason they do fail is by pressing the trip reset
     odometer while the vehicle is rolling.  I remember reading in the
     vehicles owner manual to only reset the trip odo while standing still.
      I know I am guilty of not following this direction.  In this case
     user error is the culprit.

     Granted, VDO should have potentially used a steel gear or better
     polymer for this gear.  It will be interesting to see if the new A3
     cars start to experience the problem in a few years.

     This does suck, but a recall generally won't go into effect for a
     non-safety based item in the auto world.

     Note:  I am not associated or affiliated with VDO.

     -Paul
     90 Audi 90 Quattro 20v (for sale) [VDO]
     87 Scirocco 16v [VDO]
     87 Jetta GLi [VDO]