RE: Thermoswitch revisited(Attn. Steve Toughill)

>Okay, Brad, do you have a name that I should poke some fun at?  Or maybe my
>"internal operating temperature" is just a little high?  Or perhaps my "builtin
>to," personal flame-thermoswitch is kicking in too early?  "Anality?"  What
>gives?  Just disagree and leave it at that.  Personal attacks held behind
>smileys are so easy...

  I think you misunderstood. I was referring to myself when speaking of
anality. I doubt its a word, but I was poking fun at myself for the
nitpicking I was about to do on the details of your statement.  And the
name, that is poking fun at you for trying to stop the "debate on words"
before it got out of hand. And yes your wording is pretty damn funny so I'm
gonna put another smiley:). Jeez, you're almost as defensive and ready to
pick a fight as Shawn;)
Oops, I poked fun at someone else.
  And if you'd like to poke fun at my name go ahead. Just realize that I
will be scoring you...

 I do think there's a definite difference between saying the thermoswitch
operating temperature increases with age(ala Steve), and the thermoswitch
MAY get crud covered enough to change its operating temp. Ones internal,
the others external, and doesn't have as much to do with age as it does
with how much goo(or was that crud?) you let buid up in your radiator.

>Anyway, if anyone else cares to belabor the specifics any more, maybe we should
>all think about real technical details like the manufactured tolerances of the
>switch.  How closely does one switch turn on relative to another switch?  I
>don't think that one hundred Bosch switches' thermosensitive parts are going to
>turn on at precisely the same temperature, no matter how good the specs (hey,

  You're right. Since you seem so interested in the manufacturing
tolerances, I elect YOU to call up the manufacturer and get the info:)

>Re-calibrate your dial; your "effective" operating temp has changed, but
>what's >the difference?  It is now simply the operating temp of the
>device.

   When it reaches the temp it was at which it was manufactured to switch,
it switches, whether or not theres crud on it. The difference is, with the
crud covering it, it isn't able to accurately sense the temperature. Its
effective operative temp has changed because it isn't seeing the true
temperature, but the
operating temp of the device is still the same. Given the same input, the
device still produces the same output. Its just that now the crud and goo
act as an input filter, altering the input the thermowitch gets. If you
want to say that
the operating temp of the device PLUS the crud has changed, then that would
be true. But the crud is external to the device.

  Whether or not you want to says its the operating temp, or effective
operating temp, its pretty damn close to being accurate. And its much more
useful to know that the thermoswitch works like this than to say it can
change its operating temperature from "getting old". This way, if you're
tearing down your cooling system, you can know that if the switch is
relatively clean and turns on at all, its OK, and if you're having an
overheating problem, its probably something
else.