Re: Mileage

>When I had purchased my 88 16v the cat had been taken off but not the oxy
>sensor.  Is there any risk of taking off the oxy sensor because I'm not
>going to bother putting a cat on until they have smog regulations
>here...or am I better off just putting on a cat?  dunno?

  Taking the cat off won't hurt the O2 sensor. The O2 sensor is the
feedback device so that the engine knows whether its running rich or lean.
This enables it to adjust the mixture to stoichiometric for the most
complete combustion/least emmissions. At WOT, the O2 feedback is ignored
since the sensor is only accurate at stoich., and at WOT you want to make
the engine run rich for optimum power. Removing the O2 sensor feedback will
most likely result in an engine that runs rich ALL the time, which isn't a
good thing, especially for a cat. converter.

  However, without a cat, where did you mount the O2 sensor? Stock 16Vs
have them mounted into the cat. This helps keep them up to temp, along with
their heater element.