Re: please help

YES!! Another Autoxer!!!!!!

On Fri, 22 Aug 1997 10:03:28 4 "Ken Buck" <phillyscca@enter.net> writes:
>I autocross a 79 body with an 84 GTI drivetrain.

Something that I learned to tell people is that my drivetrain is from an
85 Scirocco. When you have a Scirocco and tell people that you have got
the engine/tranny from an 84 GTi (Like I have) the first thing they say
at the track is, You cant do that mod and stay in DSP. So I stick with my
85 Scirocco update/backdate story since they are the same parts/pieces
anyways. It just avoids the hassle. Now they say, "OH".  :)

>  I highly recomend you next purchase be Nuespeed
>upper and lower front strut bars.  These two bars will keep the front
>end together.  Believe me, I'm on my third body.  I learned the hard
way.

I agree, especially the lower stress bar if you Don't already have the
factory 16V stress bar installed. I wont say that the stressbars have to
be Nuespeed, most any bar will work the same.

>Don't bother with the rear stress bar, it may be pretty but it
>doesn't do anything but get in the way.

Well, I say that the rear stress bar does do some rear stiffening. Maybe
not enough to be warranted by most drivers since the rear suspension
doesn't get alot of loading. My main reason for getting the rear stress
bar (Eurosport) was to keep my racing tires back there and not rolling
into my roll bar at stoplights! (really annoying too.) Now I have so much
junk I haul with me, they wouldn't roll around in there if I didn't have
the rear bar but im used to it being there so it stays.

>For autoxing, remember FIRST AND MOST IMPORTANT, it is not
>horsepower, it is handling.

Absolutely. But remember that HP does play a key in the scheme of things.
It all depends on the track. (Really, it's who designed it, either a
Corvette club or the Maita guys designing a track will reflect what they
like to have for their cars.HP or handeling.)
There are tracks where im able to beat the top time for SS and then there
are other times where im 5-7 seconds behind the top SS time.
I find that my car is sort of a middle of the road kinda car. it likes
mildly open tracks and tight twisties but it hates tight 180 deg turns
and especially when there are 6 of them on the track!

>The biggest thing you can do is go to as many events and drivers
>school as you can.  Seat time, seat time, seat time.  Now that I have
>that out of the way..........

Absolutely!! Ive been doing this for 3 years and I still Don't get enough
seat time!

>Where is your front end alignment set at?  For autoxing, put in as
>much negative camber as you can, and set the car with about 1/4" toe
>out.  This will destroy tires on the street, but makes the car a
>dream in the corners.  Personally, I just by the
>cheapest street tires I can find and burn them up.

You know, I have had my setup on my car for a while now and my tire wear
is nominal compared to what everybody tells me its gona be. Part of it
could be that I drive on 400 tread wear on the street and That's probably
why I still have tires with plenty of tread left.

>With the lowering springs, you are already in D-street prepared,
>right?  You didn't put a cam in, did you?  Don't do a cam, it ain't
>worth it.

Not to mention its eligal in DSP. (Right Mannix!)

>I have the 1.8 bored .040 over, blueprinted and balanced,
>matchported the head, oversized injection system, try-y header into
>2" straight pipe with a Dynomax Turbo Tube for a muffler.  I autox on
>13 x 9" rims with BFG R1's 205/50 13s.  The wheels stick about 3" out
>of the fenders.  Looks like a pregnant rolloer skate, but I've taken
>FTD at a Porche Club event and a Corvette Club event.

Heh!! I've beaten Tom Berry at a cal club event! (Now That's some
bragging rights!! :)
Actually, I drove in the dry, he drove in partial wet. I only beat him by
2 tenths. That RX3 is fast. Really, I didn't beat him but the scoresheet
says I did.

              Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi           82' Scirocco GTi
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and