Re: I must be getting good

> Brett VanSprewenburg wrote:
>
> >  If I hadn't had to use the 2-hammer method
> > (if you don't know, feel free...) on the tie-rod end, it would have
> > been
> > 15 minutes sooner.
>
> How exactly do you get the tie rod end off with out a puller?  I don't
> know, and I have to do mine tonight.  I went to do it last night and
> then realized that i don't  have a puller...

Soak the tie-rod end bearing in Liquid Wrench, or something equivalent.  Wait
for some minutes.  Don't even be tempted to hit upwards on the exposted end
of the tie-rod; more then likely you will ruin the threads.  Just don't do it.

Ok, the 2 hammer method is very simple.  Take 2 hammers (hence the name), one
in each hand, and simultanously smack the knuckle that the tie-rod end goes
through.  Repeat until the tie-rod 'jumps' up out of the knuckle.  It was
a slow process, and the tie-rod let go quite gently on my car.  I probably
didn't even notice it was out for a couple smacks.  Be careful with your aim,
you'll see what I mean.  You'll also probably have to remove the brake-backing
shield to get a good aim at it, or you'll have to have the car way up in the
air.  Good luck.

==Brett