general whel question

This isn't related to Sciroccos exclusively, but here is my question.

I see pics of cars in EC all the time where the wheels are so large they
are actually up under the front and rear fenders. How in the world do
these wheels not rub? I can't figure it out when list members here say
their 16" wheels rub on SII's

I see BMWs with tires stuffed up under the fenders Help me out with this
perplexing question.

On another note what was the deal with the mini-book EC had in this
issue for guns? WTF? I thought I was reading soldier of fortune or
something????    I am almost ready to cancel my EC subscription since
they leave out "the personals" and the VW content (the reason I
subscribed) is very very weak lately.