Re: 16v Engine swap

On Mon, 18 Aug 1997 23:12:32 -0400 (EDT) Hulda Jowett
<hjowett@nasc.mass.edu> writes:
>Hey Maurice,
>
>If you can peform those things mentioned, you'll have no problem with
>swapping a VW engine. The A1 is definetly easiest done by dropping it
>from the bottom. Sure, a hoist makes these things a whole lot easier,
>but
>I've performed this procedure with a floor jack, and an extra pair of
>hands
>many times.

>Brian

I worked in a VW/Audi garage for about 6 years, so I have changed or just
pulled many many many VW engines, at work or home.
I have never taken the engine out the bottom, I have always pulled it out
the top with a hoist without any problems.  My fellow mechanic buddy who
worked at the same shop for about 18 years now, has always pulled them
out the top of an A1, I don't see how dropping it would be any easier. I
also always leave the transaxle attached and pull it out as one unit.
This is not ment to be a flame, I realize now that it might sound that
way, but just maybe a request for reasons.  I think way back when, I may
have pulled one out the bottom, but never again.

shikaroka@juno.com
82 Scirocco 16V (highly modified)
87 GTI G60
72 Baja Bug & Karmann Ghia