Re: Exhaust Downpipe

On Mon, 11 Aug 1997 15:23:17 -0500 "Daugherty, Jerry (Dal)"
<jdaugherty@inacomps.com> writes:
>Has anyone ever changed the exhaust downpipe on a SciroccoII with out
>the special VW tool?  I need to know if there is any other way to
>remove those c-clips that hold the downpipe to the manifold.  I have a
>downpipe from my 85 parts Scirocco that I'd like to be able to use.
Thanks.

>Jerry Daugherty
>jdaugherty@inacomps.com

Heh-heh! I've not only removed the clamps, I've installed them without
the special tool!

(Yah, you all should be reading this on your knees in total awe of my
amazing mechanical abilities! NOT!)

Actually, getting the clamps off were a bitch of sorts. I used the old
big-ass screw driver method and pried until I heard a metallic poping
sound. (Remember kids to turn your head so nothing flies into your :)
face. )

Repeat for the other side and your all done.

Now installing was a bit different and what I did was took a 2' length of
1/4" steel rod and cut a notch at the top of the bar to hold into the
hole on the c-clamps. (I still have that very special tool.) Then using
the floor jack, I slowly lifted the bar up with the bottom of the clamp
in place in its groove on the manifold until it got almost on its place.
Then I took a hammer and gently tapped the clamp onto its upper seat.
Worked for me and it only slipped once. Once the first one goes on, the
other one will too.

Then again, why bother? Why not just buy a used dual outlet manifold and
downpipe and gain a few HP not to mention improved fuel economy.
Anyways, HTH!

Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi
82' Scirocco GTi