Re: odometer woes

> I'm having trouble with the odometer on me 87 16v. It seems to only work some
> of the time. I'm wondering if any of you may know how I could fix this. Any
> help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Shawn.

There are a few FAQs on Jans web page that covers this.  I just did this
fix, and to some degree, you need nerves of steel. ;)  The FAQs can be
found at http://alicudi.usc.edu/~jan/cars.html.

Assuming you've read the FAQs found above, or or familiar with this fix, I
have some....

Suggestions & observations on this procedure:

-The electrical connections on the back of the instrument cluster _do_
 actually come off.  Study the connector carefully and you'll figure it
 out.
-The force required to pop the speedo needle off it's post is _way_ higher
 then you'll be comfortable applying.  Apply force to both sides of the
 needle, maybe with a pair of needlenose plyers right close to the shaft.
-Carefully undo the 2 screws on the face plate of the speedo, those 2 screws
 are very tight, painted lightly black, and can easily have the head stripped
 off them.  Use a fair amount of downward force to keep the screwdriver seated
 in the screw slot to prevent this.
-Don't even try to keep the odo numbers from falling out once you pull the
 shaft they're sitting on.  Oh, write down what your milage should be.  I
 actually ADDED the 560 miles that was missing when I fixed mine.
-When scoring the end of the gear shaft, realize that the absolute end
 of the shaft does _not_ touch the gear that is slipping.  What I mean by
 this is, study the mechanism before you remove the driving shaft to see
 how far down the shaft the slipping gear rests.  I had to take this
 mechanism apart twice due to this.
-When putting the odo numbers back on the shaft, they _will_ go together
 correctly.  Don't accept the fact that a number is '1/2' or partially
 rotated to the next digit.  Take your time and get it right.

If you need any other words of wisdom, well, I might be able to help.

==Brett