Re: Scirocco GTX-scirocco-l-digest V1 #319

> GT can have carbs  or injection, 1.6 or 1.8 ltr block
> GTi has injection, 1.6 or 1.8 ltr block
> GTX  can have carbs or injection, 1.6 or 1.8 ltr block
> GTX 16v has injection and the 1.8.

GLS (GLS written on side in big black letters), GL, CL (early eighties
econo-box), and hey man, you forgot my Scala!  :-) I think the main
thing for the Scala was that the interior was the same color as the
car. Oh yeah, one other one...GTII. (That's supposed to read GT2). They
had GTII on the B-pillar.

> If you check the data sheets you will find that the GTX 16v (hp at > 139)

They also have a 129 PS (close to HP) 16v engine, too, but I'm not
sure which models had it.  It's so hard to keep track of 'em all...
there are so many.

> The wheels were different through the years not always the teardrops.

Ya know, now that you mention that, I don't remember seeing a Scirocco
over there with teardrops.  Most of them had the US 83-84 Rabbit GTI
style rims on them, but not chromed.  They were more greyish.  But
the Germans are big time into putting aftermarket rims on their cars.
Most of the Sciroccos I saw had aftermarket rims.  I picked myself up
a set of Borbets for my VR6 before I left because rims are much cheaper
there than here because they sell so many.

> My car has the GTX badge because I have made most of the mods
> to make it look and drive like a true GTX.

Hey cool, got any pics?  I'd like to see.

Some other small differences between Euro and US Roccos for those
who might not know..

-Some had the four square headlights like US (older econo versions) and
some had the more cool looking ones.  Some of the older (82ish) just
 had the 'cool' looking ones without the fog light part of it.  Looked
 kinda stupid.
-no 'parking lights' in Europe.  The yellow lights are blinkers only.
-low beam, high beam and low dim lights...some call them city lights
 (just a small bulb)
-turning on left blinker after turning car off will illuminate the
 left 'dim' and rear left taillight.  Same for the right side.  Great
 feature used for parking on dark streets.
-most know about the rear fog light..jeez, that thing is bright

That's all I can think of for now.

Looking for someone's opinion...there's an 87 Scirocco 8V in the paper
for $3000.  The guy is original owner and he's says it's in great shape.
It has 112,000 miles.  This price sounds kinda high for an 8V, ya
think?  If it's in real good condition, do you think it's a good price?

-Mike
95 GTI-VR6