Re: Scirocco GTX-scirocco-l-digest V1 #319

Most of us know all this so if you wish to add to this please do so. We
should make a FAQ out of it. The year is key to the models. I like to rate
the cars on hp, injection, block sizs, US vs Europe and then the package.
GT can have carbs  or injection, 1.6 or 1.8 ltr block
GTi has injection, 1.6 or 1.8 ltr block
GTX  can have carbs or injection, 1.6 or 1.8 ltr block
GTX 16v has injection and the 1.8.
VW marketing made up the other names and custom packages as add ons.

Well I have a Scirocco GTX badge on the back of my car and mine started out
as a 16v US-Norm.
If you check the data sheets you will find that the GTX 16v (hp at 139) and
the 16v US-Norm (hp at 129) are close but they have some differances. The
GTX came as an 8v (hp at 82) too that was simmular to the 8v US-Norm (hp at
70). GTX had more stuff on it than a GT. A pre 87 GTI was simular to a GT
but had injection. I think all Euro cars have no door beams and the cam is
designed for top end and not low end.
The GTX 16v has the big Hela headlamps, smaller black Euro bumpers, red 16v
badges on the "B" pillar and the 16v body kit. The wheels were different
through the years not always the teardrops. In 1988 the GTX 16v had the
body kit painted the same as the car color other years it was black. The
US-Norm has the painted big bumpers, door beams, nock senser, cat on the
down pipe, and the Karmann logo on the "B" pillar. No GTX was ever shipped
to the US as a new car to the dealers as far as I know. Europe had more
models than the US. Europe had carb versions and 1.6 - 1.8 ltr blocks
(GTX). The US had the 1.8 for most of the Scirocco 2's 8v and 16v
production. My car has the GTX badge because I have made most of the mods
to make it look and drive like a true GTX. I did keep my old badges but the
car does not look like a US-Norm now. Several used GTX's did make it in to
the US per VW&P.

Message text written by VanAm
>I'll start another one of those European Scirocco wannabe threads. :-)
Care to explain why you call your Scirocco a GTX?

Speaking of Euro Sciroccos...if the guy who lives in Germany
(friend of Ryan Court who I sold my 89 Scirocco Scala to) is still on
this list, please e-mail me!

-Mike
95 GTI-VR6<