Re: Water pump replacement idea

Paul Hanley wrote:

> Hello fellow roccans:
>
> I was speaking to a VW mechanic friend of mine today, and he gave me a tip
> on changing a waterpump.
>
> Normally, you would do the timing belt removal deal, but here you don't.
> You remove the alternator and place it near the distributor, then remove
> the bolts retaining the a/c compressor. Then, with a long extension, a
> swivel joint, and a 13mm socket, you remove the bolt retaining the
> compressor bracket from below the a/c.
>
> All of this is done from above the engine. At this point, you remove the
> a/c, and voila, there's the damned pump. Remove the entire housing and then
> remove the impeller half. Takes about an hour says he.
>
> Has anyone tried this? I may have to soon, so if I do I will post the
> results. I have done it the timing belt removal way more than twice, so I
> can easily compare the two.
>
> Regards,
> Paul Hanley

I did it that way on my Audi 4000S (basically a fancy VW).  It had a 4
cylinder mounted the "wrong" way, which actually made it quite easy to
get to things.  I highly recommend doing it as you described, there is
no real need to remove the timing belt unless it's about time to change
that too.

John

'87 16v Scirocco
'86 GTi  <--- for sale