Still overheating

my '84 still has a problem even after i replaced the water pump today (it
was making a slight friction noise and i thought that might be the
problem). i have a radiator pressure cap coming in tommorow and that will
be in place soon. But, i'm wondering about something. my fan kicks in but
it really kicks in late?!! i know that someone said that they either didn't
work or did and their was no in between, but maybe? another shot out to yas
- could a slightly warped head create such an overheating problem? i
haven't noticed water in the oil or anything, but that doesn't mean much.

any help in this problem would be greatly appreciated.

one last thing; when i did the water pump and took her out for a bag it
seemed gutless as hell! when i took the timing chain cover off could i have
messed something up?

all comments appreciated

Sean Penny
'84 KAMEI X1 Scirocco (still burnin up)