Scirocco GTI

"Michael Potter" <kmpotter@ix.netcom.com> writes:

>Yes Eric your right, There were very few real " Scirocco GTI's"
>They basiclly are an "S" model but with a 100mph speedo, points
>ignition, & non OXS fuel injection.

Hi Mike nice to see you on this list also. I was working at a dealer
in 79 and the model you are talking about sounds like an out of state
Scirocco as only California models had Lambda and electronic ignition
in 1980. Then all 50 states in 1981. All 79 models had points.

Another rare fact is they
>were one of the first A1's with a 5sp trans. VW designated a
>sales code of S700 for 79 GTI's & 80 S's because the basic theme
>of the two cars is the same except for the emblem.

The first 5 speeds were in the 79 Scirocco's and I have seen them in
S and non S models. In the US we never had GTI's till 83 so I am not
sure what you are saying about 79 GTI's. Must be talking out of the
US.

 If anybody
>thinks they see one here's the VIN range to check for sure.
>5392043145 --------- 5392200000.  Wow that's 156,855 cars that
>VW produced & in that time maybe only every 100th car was a true
>"GTI". Plus they probably did'nt ship them all to America.  I
>have only seen 2 real one's in the past 12 or so years & both
>times I did'nt have the cash or the space to put it or I would
>be a owner of a rare 1979 Scirocco GTI.

I still find this hard to believe as the GTI model in europe had a
different engine I believe it was the high compression 1.6 that was
never smog legal in the US. Also the emblem has never been on the
US parts microfische as well as the no combustion cylinder head the
1.6 high compression engine used. The only special editions I can
remember were the S-Sidewinder-Special Edition on the years from
77-81. Now I am getting old and my memory may not be quite as good as
it use to but I did know the Scirocco models quite well back then as
I was involved with the Scirocco club.So it may be possible as Mike
said but I have never seen any real proof of it.

 Just found an article written
by Andy in one of my old Scirocco club newsletters

GTI by Andrew King, R&A Applied Arts

Not available in the U.S. the hot Scirocco in Germany carries the
distinguished logo, GTI. Many have built U.S. Sciroccos to "GTI
Specs" often increasing power through the addition of
turbocharging.
What are GTI Specs? The following information is our
interpretation of the distinguishing differences of U.S. Sciroccos
and the GTI Scirocco.Although the GTI has the same 1.6 Liter (1588cc)
engine it develops 110 bhp, the compression ratio is 9.5 to 1 verses
the 8-8.2 to 1 in the U.S. model. Other engine modifications include
38 mm intake valves vs. 34 mm. The engine runs hotter so the GTI is
equipped with remote oil cooler with thermostat. The distributor
timing is greatly advanced and a beefier cam shaft is employed. The
warm up regulator (very similar to the older Audi 5000) is also
different.Since the GTI doesn't have to meet U.S. emission or mileage
standards, a different fuel distributor is used and the car runs much
richer. Like the '81 Scirocco the GTI has Bosch electronic
ignition.,, Other differences include larger air intake, larger
exhaust manifold, dual header pipes and Gillet powered
exhaust.The suspension of the GTI includes front and rear sway bars.
Shorter (approx. 1 1/2" and stiffer springs. The springs are not as
stiff as the aftermarket "GTI" springs sold in the U.S. Due to the
increased torque the axles are reinforced and hardened CV joints are
used. Although Sachs shocks with different shock bearing caps are
standard, stiffer than the ones used on U.S. Sciroccos.the stronger
clutch and pressure plate used are very similar to the ones used on
the U.S. '81 Sciroccos and the transmission is a 5 speed close ratio
designed to operate at 5000.RPM.Finally the GTI Scirocco is equipped
with electric horn, halogen head lamps, front and rear fog lights
and smaller lighter bumpers.
turbotim@newdimensions.com
http://www.newdimensions.com