CV's...

RE: Re: noise: inner cv or transaxle?

> Very perceptive of you.  I have almost the exact same problem with my
> car.  I initially thought that it was transaxle related because the
> noise went away when I pushed the clutch down or took the car out of
> gear.  However, it is definitely inner CV(s).  I got under the car, after
> jacking up the front end to let the wheels spin, and yanked and twisted
> on my CVs on the advice of some scirocco list members.  Sure enough, the
> inner joint on the passenger side clanked like metal marbles smacking
> together.  (Hmmm, could this be bad? duh.)  The inner one on the other
> side moved too much and made a low thunking sound.  I ordered both inners
> from Mark at AAB and got the boots kits and new CV joints with all fitting
> and bolts for about ~$160 to my house.  I'm also going to buy the outers
> from him also, even though they aren't making any noise right now, I
> consider the fact that I've got the axles out of the car, I might as well
> make everything new.  It's like pulling the transmission and not replacing
> everything in sight.  Shawn has also probably shamed me (thanks Shawn ;) )

     If you are replacing both inner and outer CV's, why not just get a set
of axles?  For the price of the CV's alone you can probably get the whole
axle assemblies.  I have to replace my seriously warped rims and then check
everything again.  After replacing the clutch and pressure plate and the oil
seals, I took the Jetta out for a VERY spirited run down my in-laws road,
looks like I may have lost a wheel weight or two and the car now does the
funky warbling.  It doesn't show up when I have pressure to turn right or
left but if I turn the wheel slightly to the left and put no pressure on the
wheel, the warbling vibration gets a LOT worse now.  I've already done the
wheel bearings and replaced the axles, ball joints, struts, upper strut
bearings/mounts, even gone as far as swapping transmissions.  How quickly
does it take an inner CV to die?  I had a flange cap leak and fill the CV
with gear oil, so I replaced the caps and re-packed the CV.  Is it possible
that it HAS gone bad or am I looking at replacing the drive flange bearings?
I'm not going to allow this noise to get the best of me!

     I think new tires and rims come first...

     Sean
     wildfire@albany.net
     SYSOP: BOB'S WORLD BBS