Re: junky points

At 01:02 7/31/97 +0000, you wrote:
>I have a problem.  My points are junky.  About every 2 weeks I have
>to regap the points.  Otherwise my idle turns to crud.  As I see it
>there 2 ways to fix this for the long run.  Either by new points
>($25)from the dealer or put in a electronic dist.  What excatly is invloved in
>switching to a electronic dist?
>
>Anyone have any ideas or opinions?
>
>                                      Jay
>'80 Scirocco 1.8 8v

Take a look at your coil - you may have an internal short that is pulling
too much current through the points. How long did the last new set run?

There are numerous aftermarket electronic point eliminators, or you could
retrofit a newer VW electronic system - but if the coil is the cause, it
will cook the electronic system too! (Assuming you don't get a new coil with
the electronic system..)

If you use the newer VW system, you need the whole works from a junkyard
car, or it will cost to buy new - the junk parts will include the required
wiring, too, of course. The distributor should just drop in and timing sets
up just like for the points. The ignition module, etc. gets bolted to the
firewall. Best way to start is the Bentley manual for a newer model, so you
can identify all the bits to pull out of the junker. Any 8V VW engine's
system should work.

If you can find the later model (not sure what year they start) you can get
the ignition system with the knock sensor - then you can run a hotter advance..

Chuck Kuecker

ckuecker@mcs.net

'83 Scirocco (new paint!)
'58 Ghia Convert