Re: Intake mods

In a message dated 97-04-29 14:17:02 EDT, stoopid@idirect.com (Jason
Brunberg) writes:

<< 	The other day i was bored, so I removed my front bumper.  Whilst
 looking at the whole front end, inside-out, I wondered to myself if it
 would be possible to run some kind of intake pipe (similar to those used
 in Acura Integras for instance) from the airbox to the space in front of
 the rad.  Does this make any sense?  I looked, and between the rad and
 front grille there is a whole TON of room.  However, if such a mod was
 possible, would it constrict cool air flow to the rad?  I mean, would it
 hinder the radiators' preformance in any way?  Does anybody know?  Does
 anybody care?  Does anybody care to know?

 	Thanks in advance,

 jason
 87 16v >>

I made this mod. about 10 years ago.  On my '78 Scirocco, there is a row of
rectangular holes behind the bumper which feeds the radiator from below.  I
have a Kamei air dam so this scoops a lot of air (i.e., high pressure) into
these hole and to the radiator from under the bumper area.  I took off the
restrictive curved silencer tube off my air box and fitted a ~2.5" diameter x
4' hose to it.  This hose snakes down under the battery, comes up between the
inside fender and the bumper support stucture, across the front of the
battery to the fiberboard air diverter in front of the radiator.  At this
point I cut a hole in the fiberboard, fed the hose through and down and out
at one of these rectangular holes.  The hose is pointing forward even with
the slot and is held in place with a tie wrap (looks are not too important,
completely hidden by bumper) and that's how I get "cold" air.  I could have
stopped at the fiberboard and picked up the "cold" air from the front of the
radiator, but I was on a roll and couldn't stop myself.  At first I thought
water, debris, big bugs or even hitting a small bird might be a problem, but
the hose is not in the direct air stream due to the bumper, just in a higher
pressure area(as long as the air dam is there).  Haven't had any problems.  I
know the 2nd gen. Scirocco is a little different in layout and structure, but
I'm sure you'll think of some way to make it happen.

Best of luck!
-dick-
'78 Scirocco
Original Owner