Re: Take Yer VW and Chev It

At 18:31 4/27/97 -0500, you wrote:
>At 10:56 AM 4/27/97 +0000, you wrote:
>>Hi All,
>>
>>I've read numerous mags about Chevy engines being dropped into Porche
>>bays.  Anyone know of this Frankenstein experiment with VWs.  Just
>>curious, I'm not planning on it.
>

>Depends on the engine and configuration. (FWD vs RWD) Its dooable, if you
>got your mind set on it and know the right people who can help, you can
>stuff any engine into any car. (Within the limits of physics!)
>
>I do know that somebody produces an adapter plate to mount a V-8 onto a bug
>tranny. Im not sure if there is one made for a water cooled tranny tho. (I
>also know that a water cooled engine wont bolt up to a water cooled tranny,
>not the same. Yes, there is an adapter plate for that too...)

>Shawn

Anyone who puts a Chevy ANYTHING on a stock Bug tranny is asking for grief.
The differential won't take the torque. There are aftermarket trannys out there
built for this kind of madness...

I knew a guy in the '70's who had a mint '69 Bug with 15 miles on it - except he
shoehorned a Corvair flat 6 into the rear. He got wheelies just about every time
he popped the clutch - 'cause the engine weighed more than twice what the
stock one
did.. He had wheelie bars, and spent too much time on them...

Sorry about the air-cooled stuff....

Oh - and there was the nut with the 283 Chevy in the MG midget, but he had no
floor, as the engine and trans ate the passenger compartment. He rested his
heels on an angle iron strung between the engine and frame. I do not
know if this person still lives.

On another issue - my '83 is going under the grinder this weekend - when she
comes out, she'll look like new...

Chuck Kuecker

ckuecker@mcs.net

'83 Scirocco