Re: Help - Air filter assembly caught on fire

Message text written by Shawn C. Meze
>At 08:40 PM 4/26/97 -0500, you wrote:
>More importantly, did you find out -WHY- it caught on fire?? Sounds like
the
>obvious thing is that the oil filter was soaked with oil, right? (Paper
>filter or K&N??) The question is, what caused it to ignite?? Something
must
>of been really hot, to do that. I fear your problem is not the burnt
>filter/housing, but whatever it was that has failed and caused the fire.

>As I was driving today, my '88 16V started puttering and then stalled.
>When I popped the hood, I could see smoke and smell plastic burning.
>After getting it home and disassembling the air filter assembly, I found
>the air filter had pretty much burned up, the plastic housing is all
>melted inside and some of the hoses have also melted.  The engine still
>turns over and runs briefly before stalling out.

How can the AIR FILTER  catch on fire? Your engine compartment must have
been hot!
Have you done the drill out the air box trick? Is your air hose connected
to the air box?
What kind of filter do you have? Do you have a leek from the fuel filter or
fuel distributor?
Is your engine clean? How old was the air filter? What bulbs are you
running for headlights and are the wires in good shape? Do you have big oil
leeks? We need more details.

I would not drive this car to work until you find out what started the
fire. I have only had two engine fires in my life. One was electrical
(Chevy) and one was an oil spill as I was adding oil to my Volvo.

Doug
87 16v silver Scirocco