Re: Help - Air filter assembly caught on fire

At 08:40 PM 4/26/97 -0500, you wrote:
>As I was driving today, my '88 16V started puttering and then stalled.
>When I popped the hood, I could see smoke and smell plastic burning.
>After getting it home and disassembling the air filter assembly, I found
>the air filter had pretty much burned up, the plastic housing is all
>melted inside and some of the hoses have also melted.  The engine still
>turns over and runs briefly before stalling out.

More importantly, did you find out -WHY- it caught on fire?? Sounds like the
obvious thing is that the oil filter was soaked with oil, right? (Paper
filter or K&N??) The question is, what caused it to ignite?? Something must
of been really hot, to do that. I fear your problem is not the burnt
filter/housing, but whatever it was that has failed and caused the fire.

>other concern is how much damage I may have done to the engine since
>there was no air filter on my 20 minute drive home and there was
>difinately alot of debris still in the housing when I took it apart.
>God knows what got sucked up into the engine.

Well, probably no dammage. Did you clean out he airbox of debris before you
drove it? If you did, then a 20 min drive shouldnt hurt it any. (Unless your
driving down a dusty siltbed road!) Slap in a new filter and see how it runs.
You may have injested pieced of the burning airfilter. If so, theres nothing
you can do about it now.
HTH!

Shawn