Idle/Hesitation problem

Last Sunday after driving my '88 home from Oregon (a 5 hour trip), I
noticed
that my idle speed had increased dramatically.  It used to be at 900,
but
now it varies between 1600 and 1800!  The next day while driving to
work,
I also noticed that when I stepped on the accelerator there would be a
moment
of hesitation (not there before), then the car would suddenly jerk
forward.
TODAY, the problem is much worse.  Unless I very gently accelerate the
car alternates between jerking and hesitation while I'm on the gas.
Obviously
the problem is in the fuel system, but I'm not sure where.  What would
cause
both the jump in idle speed and the jerking?  Any ideas appreciated.

Thanks

Tim

'88 16v Red Scirocco