Re: Good story (True Too!)

Hello All!

     Since everyone seems to be sharing their favorite stop light grand prix
stories, I might as well share mine since I get a tingle of excitement and
fear up and down my spine everytime I think about and share it.
     About a year ago, I was on my way home from work in my 88 16v Rocco
(2.0) and I was traveling in the left lane doing about 60 in a 45.  This rich
babe comes roaring up behind me in a white brand new saab 900 turbo.  I drift
to the right lane and let her by.  I do not have a big ego and it wasnt a big
deal.  We came to a red light and I looked over and casually waved "hi" (I
like sabbs), she in turn gave me the finger and started reving the engine.
 This made me very angry.  I looked down at the dashboard started reving and
said "Well honey, I know a new 900 turbo is a fast car, but take this
arrogant chick down."  The light turned green, but there was a problem, my
lane merged into the left lane about 1/8 to 1/4 mile down the road, so I had
to pass her and cut her off to win, or die trying in the ditch.  I loved to
drive my Rocco fast, but I was always carefull not to beat on it.  We took
off at the green light, and she got the quick start (the 2.0 needs a few
moments to unleash its fury).  I started pulling up on her in the red zone on
second gear, slammed it into third and the tires acutally chirped.  Third is
by far the best gear in my rocco.  We were neck and neck, and I was running
out of road.  I ran the tach right up through the roof and then slammed it
into fouth.  The power band transferred from high third to mid fourth
beautifully.  I never felt my rocco surge like that before or since.  My
heart was pounding, I could hear the roaring sabb next to me, I kept my foot
on the grill, and swerved into the left lane.  I just barely made it in front
of her and my speedo was over 100 when I finally got a half second to look
down after I started to slow up.  I took my index finger and started to wave
it back and forth (like Mutombo on the hawks).  She just sat there.  I could
tell we were both scarred to death.  It was not a smoking victory, but I was
amazed a VW that was almost 10 years old beat a new sabb 900 turbo.  Then
again I guess I lost faith in my beloved 16v Rocco.  I believe that it will
always give me its best as long as I dont beg for it all the time.  I think
twice before racing now, but I will never forget that day.  What a RUSH!
     Tell me, what kind of cars have that much character?  None that I know
of!

Thanks for reading,
Jeff
Amigo82@aol.com