Transmission Questions

Kilimanjaro here,

Just bought an 87 Scirocco two months ago, driving on the highway at about
75 mph and the car slipped out of 5th gear and went into neutral.  I pulled
into a service stations and I heard a grinding noice when I was in 1st and
2nd gear and would disappear in 3rd and 4th gear.

I am thinking the problem is the gear oil, or the clucth, but I have no
idea where to turn to.  Could the transmission be gone on the car.

Can someone help me out with some suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

Kilimanjaro.