Re: "New Jetta GT" or "Been there done that"

At 03:14 AM 4/16/97 -0500, you wrote:
>Here's an amusing little anecdote for ya'.
>Last night, while returning home from an evening with my girlfriend, I got
>into a little test of speed with a shiny new Jetta.  It had a badge on the
>boot that said "GT", and what looked to be 14" wheels.  Anyway, to make a
>long story short, I pulled him at the very top end on the freeway.  My
>speedo only reads to 100mph, @ about 5 o'clock on the speedo, and the
>needle was between 6 and 7.  My tach read just over 6500 rpm in 4th gear.
>At that speed he was felling behind very slowly but he WAS falling behind.

Maybe he was speed limited? IE, his gearbox can be geared as low as my GLi with
a 5th gear of .80 limits the top speed of 110@6000. (Not exact figures, but
close) Maybe the other driver simply didnt want to tear his motor up? (Not that
he would actually do this by running high rpms, but maybe this was his
thinking?) I hate the 5th gear in my GLi! I've got an .71, just gotta find the
time to put it in.......

Please note the following statement....

>A '79 S, recently (10k miles) rebuilt 1.6, G-grind cam, K&N, Autotech

Then follows it up with.....

>Never had the head or the oil pan off the motor.

Was this some form of magic? If you would care to entertain me in how exactly a
motor gets rebuilt without removing the head OR the oil pan??? Im amused! :)

Shawn