Re: Request for comments - list change

At 3:15 PM -0600 04/15/1997, Kevin Wenzel wrote:
>Greetings -
>
>I'm strongly considering changing the name of the list from the Scirocco
>mailing list to.... the A1 Volkswagen list.  Reasons being:

Make it the red 84 Rabbit GTI list.  They're the best, everything else SUCKS!

>1) There are already several GTI-only owners on the list, and they have
>been helpful and not caused any problems so far (that is *not* a challenge,
>Mannix).

Oh.....heh heh, sorry......

>2) In my opinion, all A1-chassis VWs are pretty cool; I just happen to like
>the looks of the Scirocco better.  GTIs are definitely worthwhile - they
>are, after all, the first pocket-rocket.  The cars really have pretty much
>the same internals, so why differentiate?

Right.  Guys like Wyatt Markus, Jan whatshisname (if he really exists;),
umm, there's a few more on the NG that are really knowledgable, yet they're
not here.  That's not to say that everyone here is stupid, but there are
other valuable viewpoints out there.

>Comments?  Concerns?  Any really nasty flames about this should probably
>go to me directly to avoid all out war on the list.  Keep in mind that this
>(the list) is not a democracy; I am not taking a vote - if you want to
>convince me not to do it, use rational, well-thought-out arguments rather
>than just "hell no!"

How about "hell yes?"  Might I need to rationalize?  We have not heard from
Jay, that Rocket guy, Mute, umm, a few other "regulars" who either don't
care or have not checked their email today.  Personally, I'm pretty into it
as is, but there are undoubtedly people out there who have not joined
because this is a "Scirocco" list.

Now, what's with this "all out war" avoidance tactic?  I need a giggle;).
Rhar.  Kevin ruled this past weekend, went superfast on the Trials course,
was no slouch at the autocross.  If your region has a Trials program, go
out and do it!  Trials is fun.  I went fast.  6000rpm in fourth around a
big left hand sweeper....whee!  Sorta scary at times, I NEED an oil cooler,
but I had a fantastic time, and I think Kevin did too.  Yes?

Dropped off my wheels and tires at the Tire Source to get my new R1s
mounted up - corded my last set over the weekend.  Decided I need less
negative camber, less toe out - the car handled great, but it is as if I am
not using the whole tire, based on the cord on the insidish edges vs the
good depth on the outside edge. I wonder how much faster I can go while
using the WHOLE tire.  Mmmmm, fresh rubber.....ouch, no money....

So, back to the proposal.  I think that a A1 owners we all share the same
basic things - we drive outdated cars, they're loud, unrefined WRT the A2,
and they all have the same problems.  I like the list, but to be perfectly
honest, I subscribe to the H20 Discussion list simply because there is a
deeper knowledge base in that group.  I still read the NG for the same
reason.  There is a LOT of knowledge here, but there is even more out
there.  This group has a decided performance slant to it, which I
appreciate - not too much discussion about things I think are irrelavent,
matter of opinion, whereas the other groups/lists I read have a LOT of
stuff like discussions about the Pirelli P6.  Umm, P6?  Whatever.  That
tire sucked when it was popular (although I had two sets, they were cheap).
I think the newly founded Red RabbH^H^H^H^H^H I mean A1 list is a good
idea.

Mannix