RE: Request for comments - list change

Kevin and fellow list members.....

First of all, I'd like to say thanks to Kevin for his work in organizing this list.  It is a great resource, and it had a large influence in my decision to buy my second Scriocco, a 16V, three weeks ago.  I havn't stopped smiling since.....except for a brief time when my ICMs were burning out.

I'd like to go on record as being opposed to the expansion of the mail list for both pragmatic and emotional reasons.

First the pragmatic.

1) Incresaed mail volume.

The list generates a substantial amount of mail each day.  I'm learning to filter out some of the 'me too' comments, but as a new owner I still find the majority of information to be helpful. For me, the focus and volume of mail are just about 'right'.  Any increase in the volume of mail, or dilution of content would be un-welcome.

2) List name recognition/identification

I found the list by searching for the words 'Scriocco' and 'VW'......I still am not sure what an A1 or an A2 are.  I wonder how many others would overlook the list if it were under a different name.

Now the emotional......

I can't tell you how much I enjoyed reading the recent posts about other members experiences with peoples attitudes toward our 'roccos.  My last girlfriend refused to ride in my '78.....I dumped her.  My mother gave me endless grief about the same car......I havn't told her about the 16V.

To me the experiences we all share as Scirocco owners transcend the basic mechanics of an A1 or A2 chassis and engine.  Although I value the mechanincal information provided by the list, the ability to share our common experiences as Scirocco owners sets it apart from a  'mechanically-orineted' list, e.g. the watercooled VW newsgroup. The loss of the fellowship that exists among Scirosso owners by having the list restructured along purely mechanical criteria would be immeasurable.

Thanks again for your efforts,

Lee Pfefferman