Re: Turbo Scirocco and more history

>HP not adding a Turbo and Tweeking the Motor. Just an example F production
>(race class) ok stock cam stock valve springs 150hp (VERY concervitive #),

A ND stage II kit on an otherwise stock 1.8 motor will net you upwards of 180hp.
Thats before you do any work on it. If you port the heads and intake, get a
better exhaust, etc. you can get well into the 200hp range. Start doing
some serious engine work, and get an upgraded turbo and housing to match
it, and you can get as much hp as you can afford. Building a naturally
aspirated motor of the same displacement to this level may be possible, but
would cost much more, and it wouldn't be very streetable, and couldn't run
on pump gas. We've got a 1.3 liter at the shop running 270hp non turboed,
BUT its running 18:1 CR, and a custom fuel blend that allows it to make
this power. Plus it only runs for a 1/4 mile at the time. Not a very
streetable engine. Another person I know has a 600cc turboed engine
producing in the neighborhood of 200-220hp on street gas, and its driven on
the street.

>9:1 compression and Gaurantee you couldnt catch him with a  turbo. Thats only
>one class. My Class SPU all motors under 2.0l that are heavy modified Beyond
>any other class.  most any modifications allowed Not one Runs a Turbo
>Everyone on the Track scuffs at even the descusion . I can never get my
>compression low enouph to put a Turbo on any way. actually im WAY WAY to high
> i need to come down alot more 13:1 Currently.

  Think of turbos as a way to change the dynamic compression ratio of an
engine. This is exactly what they do. You can get dynamic CRs much higher
than 13:1 with a turbo.IMHO, turbos are the closest thing to a replacement
for displacement.

   Alot of times turbod cars have to move up a group to a category with
larger engines. I think it was HSR where turboed engine are placed in a
group according to 1.7x their displacement. This means that the cost of
staying competitive is much higher than if you were simply using a much
larger engine as the other cars in the same group do.

Brad