Re: Mufflers for 16V

On Thu, 10 Apr 1997 UndrSteer@aol.com wrote:

> an ENTIRE cat-back system from tectonics costs $200ish aluminized, and @
> $350?  Stainless.

I got a Tectonics stainless steel system and although it looks nice and
sounds nice, there are discussions over in the vw.watercooled newsgroup
and people say that their system has actually begun to rust. Something
about it not being 100% stainless or something about the quality of the
procedure to make it stainless, I am not sure, this was relayed to me by
someone who reads the group. Any thoughts on that? I mean, clearly, no
stainless steel system will last 100% against rust, but some of the
stories had TT systems collecting rust after almost a year.

Ilias

ps: yes, I know they have a lifetime warranty, but still it is
disturbing. Not to mention that if you want to replace the rusted parts
attached to the muffler, some of them might be stuck on there pretty darn
well and might require cutting. Hence: another muffler. Such thoughts
scare me.