Re: Hex wrench size

Josh Clark wrote:

> On Wed, 19 Mar 1997 23:44:25 -0500 "Brian M. Potter" <tonedeaf@earthlink.net> wrote:
>
> > I'm doing the rear brake rotors on my 88 16V Scirocco.  Before I start,
> > I would like to find out if anybody knows what size allen key you need
> > to screw in the piston on the caliper.  I've been told that its a 10mm,
> > 12mm or a 14mm.  Does any body know?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Brian
> > 91 GTI 8V
> > 88 Scirocco 16V
>
> I'm almost positive it's a because I don't have anything bigger and I did it on a friend's car
> (actually Jays') and we had to use the biggest he had which is also a ten.  Good luck
>
> \\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\\
> Josh Clark
> Visit EXC's Performance Website at:
> http://idt.net/~exc
> (201) 726 0507
>
> -We specialize in specialty European parts and
> -wheels for VW's

Thanks everyone for your help.  I managed to get a hold of a 12mm and a
10mm hex wrench.  Call me crazy but the 12 was too big and the 10 was
too small(Is there such a thing as a 11mm allen key?).  I even measured
them with a micrometer just to make sure.  I ended up turning the piston
with channel locks then compressing it with a "C" clamp. So far so good.
Punching the races and the caps were a bitch at first.  I was ready to
put a bullet through my head.  But once I figure it out the other rotor
was a breeze.
Thanks Again,

Brian
88 Scirocco 16V