Oil pump compatibility

Does anyone know if the oil pump from a 85 golf hydralic lifter motor will
fit into a 82 Rabbits solid lifter motor?  I remember reading in EC about
there being 3 pumps with different gearing and that you could upgrade easily
when your existing pump went and get more oil to the cylinder head.  I was
going to do the swap but recent talk of modifications required to a 16v block
have got me thinking.  So is the problem only between 16v and 8v's?

Thanks and sorry for the non-directly scirocco post.

Kyle