Re: Seat question

In a message dated 97-04-07 18:17:57 EDT, sheridan@vanceandhines.com (Brad
Sheridan) writes:

<< After taking my car to a car wash on Sat. I noticed that the passenger
 sideseat didn't tilt forward anymore when the lever on the side of the seat
 was raised. I checked out the mechanism, and this lever has two wires which
 run inside the seat back to the hinge part of the seat. One of these wires
 is broken inside the seat back. If I could get to the wire, I don't think
 repairing it would be difficult. However, I couldn't figure out how to get
 to the wire. Anybody have an idea on how to do this?. Its an 87 16V with
 the cloth seats. >>

When this happened to me I replaced the seat frame on the upper passenger
side.  I asked about the wire but I broke the actual metal arm that goes out
to the handle.  swapping the seat cover onto a new frame isnt that bad, and
just to let you know the seat frame of a recaro clone seat is the same as a
regular old seat.  the difference is the big foam padding.  One other option
that somebody told me about (after I swapped them) is to pull up the latch
that the wire connects to at the bottom of the seat, take thin wire like
mechanics wire or light guage electrical and tie it permanately up.  you will
still have one side functioning so it seems to work the same, the only
drawback would be is you got in an accident with lots of weight behind the
seat or a big person (like to see them fit in the back of a scirocco) they
could break the one remaining latch easier I suppose, but that is unlikely.

Kyle