Re: oil leak. Help!

Shawn C. Meze wrote:

> That method will work too, but since I use the old sniffer method with my
> Proboscis, here's how you learn the difference between the two fluids. Its
> really quite simple and can be learned in no time at all.
> Easy, pull your dipstick and with engine oil on the ol' stick, take a little
> whiff. Mnnn, good, huh?? That's what motor oil smells like. Now, get under the
> car and obtain a little sample of what's leaking. If it smells the same as what
> was on the dipstick, guess what, its engine oil. If it smells different and
> really kinda stinks, its tranny fluid. There really is a noticeable difference
> between the two fluids. Unless of course, some cannonball has put the same
> fluid in both the engine and tranny. Doubtful
> HTH

	That's a great method, using your olfactory sense, you can also tell if
the engine is burning oil this way :)  Speaking about putting stuff
where it shouldn't go: when I bought my Wabbit I noticed a major leak
where the clutch cable attaches to the clutch release arm, after
checking the ooze I thought something was wrong.  Guess what someone put
into the four speed tranny?!  Auto tranny fluid!  I noticed something
wrong while shifting gears (big clue there).

	Andy