More on the mileage indicator

This mileage indicator problem is really getting the better of me...

...I found a single tiny vacuum line running from the main vacuum manifold to
the firewall - lust to the left of the two main wiring harness entry points.
I can't see exactly where this mysterious vacuum line goes inside the car -
but, being a non-air-conditioned car, i know it doesn't have anything to do
with the opening and closing of ventelation valves.

Now, here's the strange part.  I disconnected this line tonight, plugged the
vacuum manifold to keep things happy in the intake, and took it out for a
test drive.  That made no difference in the mileage indicator readings.

If someone had the wiring diagram for the multi-function indicator for this
exact car ('86 Scirocco, no air condition, no power steering, JH 8-valve
engine), I'd be most appreciative. This is about the only thing on the car
that isn't working properly, and I'll loose sleep 'till I get it right.

Thanks,
-- Mike Helms