Colors

This may be a stupid question... I have a white 88 16V that was (I
believe) painted that color at the factory (though the person I bought
it from told that they had the mirrors and bumpers painted white by the
dealer), yet I read in a book recently that the 16V was available from
the factory in red, white or silver.  Is that true?  Have so many of the
other sciroccos I've seen simply been repainted?

I should also add that I have plenty of chips in the paint and have
never seen another color underneath.scirocco-l