Re: Fwd: Help a scirocco owner!!!

MAINElyVW1@aol.com wrote:

> Hey everybody can we help this guy!

> << Subj:        Steve could you help?
>  Date:  97-03-31 08:47:46 EST
>  From:  gregory_polletta@mail.amsinc.com
>  To:    MAINElyVW1@aol.com
>

>    If you might be able to give me a hand with this I would really
>    appreciate it. I need to find a kick ass mechanic in the DC or Fairfax VA
>    area. Could you post this to your buliten board for me.
>
>    Because I can't directly access this newsgroup please send me a response
> only
>    if you can help. I just don't want 1000's of e-mail comming to my work
>    address.
>
>    As the headder says, I have a 1988 VW Scirocco 16V with 114K miles. Just
> the
>    other day the oil temp guage started to act up, actually heat up. Checked
> the
>    water level, it was ok. Then began to hear a clicking by the timing belt
> and a
>     clicking by the idle stablizer valve. Noticed oil around the top seal and
> oil
>     by the lower seal. Nothing drips from the car, but the block is soiled by
> the
>     oil. Pickup is OK, but not like it used to be.
>
>    This car is in amazing condition except for this new problem. I am afraid
> that
>     it might be time for an engine job, but I do not know of anyone who is
>    excellant in the DC or Fairfax VA area that I can trust. Seems that it is
>    harder to find a great mechanic in this area than it is a decent harcut.
>
>    I would really apreciate it if someone might be able to recomend someone
> in
>    the area so that I can assist with this problem. I kind of want to take
> care
>    of this, get moving on it, by this comming weekend. If you can assist,
> please
>    respond to the e-mail address in the headder or here:
>    gregory_polletta@mail.amsinc.com
>
>    Thanks tons!

I don't have the same problem with oil leakage as Gregory, however, at
98,000 miles, my 16V has started making a ticking or "chuck chuck" noise
near the timing belt area.  This occurs only when I start the vehicle
and the temperature outside is cool/cold, as after about 5 minutes of
HARD driving, the noise disappears.  A Scirocco enthusiast on base told
me my oil tap might be bad.  What the hell is that (he never
elaborated)?!?!  Any ideas?  It's driving me CRAZY!!

Steph