Re: Pulling an Engine

On Mon, 23 Sep 1996, Rodney Noriel wrote:

> What is the proper way to pull a motor from an A1?  From the top or from
> the bottom?  I've done the clutch and partially tilted the motor to the
> bottom but haven't pulled the whole thing.  Do separate the tranny and
> motor, then pull it or can I pull the whole thing out together?  I've heard
> that A1's and A2's are done differently.

I just did this (halfway through installing a 1.8 JH in my 81)!  All of the
literature seemed to recommend going through the bottom, but most of the
humans I asked said "oh, uh, I just take it out the top" so that's what I
did.  Before removing the rear or side motor/transaxle mounts I had the weight
of the engine supported with the hoist, then undid the mounts.  I pulled
tranny and motor out at the same time, but I did have to remove the large
metal piece on the tranny that the driver's side mount attaches to to get it
past the assorted chunks of frame on that side.  I think it would have been
easier with a friend - it was relatively difficult to crank the hoist and
move the dangling engine around (to avoid crushing/ripping various wires and
vacuum hoses) by myself.

The cool thing about doing it through the top is that you don't have to mess
with the axle bolts and the outside CV joints at all.

Kevin Wenzel - Director of Network Operations                   privateI, LLC
kwenzel@privateI.com                                Internet and Web Services
KB0MQM                        28.8 PPP/Shell Dialup and Private Port Accounts
                    ***  http://www.privateI.com/  ***