Re: GTX, GTi, GT, GTII, Scala, ......

European specs vary a great deal from country to country. I can only speak with
any authority on UK specs. This is all from memory so don't be too harsh on me
if I miss one out somewhere !

There have been various model designations and trim variations, but I think the
entire range has been based on three basic engine sizes :-

1) 1600 cc - 75 bhp (carb)

2) 1800 cc - 90 bhp (carb)

3) 1800 cc - 112 bhp (inj)

Unfortunately we didn't receive the 16V as an official import because it was
never produced in right hand drive. This was due to the fact that the brake
servo on all right hand drive sciroccos sits on the left hand side of the car
(same position as yours). A cross linkage connects the brake pedal to the servo
which results in brakes which can only be described as adequate. VW decided not
to import the model rather than incur the costs of re-tooling to put the servo
in the right place. However, several left hand drive models were imported and
several owners have put 16V engines in their cars, which is a popular
conversion over here for both Sciroccos and Mk1 Golfs.

The power output of the 16V engine over here was 139 bhp, which by all accounts
was a conservative estimation by VW. It's far more common to find them closer
to 150bhp.

Model designations changed through the years, but roughly speaking, they were
as follows :-

1983 - 85 (approx)

CL (entry model) 1600cc carb
GL (plush up-spec'd) 1600cc carb
GTL (plush) 1800cc carb
GTi 1800cc injection

Storm - very limited edition with full leather interior, painted body kit and
Montreal alloys 1800cc injection

85 - 88 (approx)

GT (replaced CL) 1600cc carb
GTX (replaced GTi) 1800cc injection - unpainted black bodykit

GT 'S' (limited edition with unpainted GTX body kit but 1800cc carb')
GTS (not so limited edition same as above)
Scala (painted body kit, matching interior colour ) 1800cc carb.

88 - 92

GT2 (replaced GT but had 1800cc carb' engine from the Scala, with painted body
kit.
Scala (replaced GTX - now fitted with 1800cc injection engine)

Essentially, these last two models were exactly the same only differing in what
was under  the bonnet (hood?). They ran right through to the end of production,
with the Scala being discontinued before the GT2. The UK continued to receive
Sciroccos right up to 1992, the last cars coming with central locking and
electric windows as standard.

I hope this helps clear some confusion !

Regards,

Sean Conway (1990 GTII)