Re: '83 Scirocco Winter Car?

hi,

here's a little description of an 83 scirocco (from the top of my head, i
might be way off i've never had an 83):

1.8l 8v (somewhere near 100hp) it's the same block as the newer(85 and up)
sciroccos, the head is slitly different, it is not "air shrouded" (the new
ones have air tunnels that surround the fuel injectors to keep the spray
pattern nicer). it should be a mechanical lifter head.
the engine has 8.5:1 compression like all 8v scirocco's.
make sure to test the compression, if it's too low, walk away, unless you
want to fix it.

i'm not sure if 83's had oxygen sensors (if they do it's a plus)

the 84 and lower had the smaller gas tank, which weighs less (much better)
and maybe a full size spare tire?
they also had the smaller wing in the back, and one windscreen wiper. no
wiper in the back.
i think the door panel trim inside is a bit different, no carpetting in the
middle.
check if it has a trip computer in the instrument panel. (i don't have one
and i'm bitter)
alot of them came with sunroofs.

as for the price i don't have a clue, what's the milleage?
when you see it, check the body/frame for damage etc...
is it from a dealer or private?
you never know it might turn out to be a great deal.

nigel heron.
'86 Scirocco 8v.
'37 MG TA.