Re: Coolant temp warning light

> I have an 88 16v which I purchased about a month ago to replace an 87 16v
> which was totalled in an accident.  As this is my 4th Scirocco, I'm quite
> familiar with the "learning curve" of figuring out all the quirks of a new VW.
>
> About three days ago, my coolant temp warning light began flashing while I was
> driving.  But the car is not over heating.  I've checked the coolant level and
> the belts, and all seem fine.

Does it stop flashing if you - while driving - switch off the ignition and on
again?  If so, you might have a similar problem to one I encountered and which
is a pest to all us who love cars that are not exactly new: bad contacts.  If
the contact of the connector to the coolant level sensor on the extension
container is bad, the light starts flashing w/o high temperature and w/o low
coolant level.

The cure is to disconnect the connector, clean it if it is dirty, check that
the wires are well attached to the connector, bend the contacts in the sensor
carefully just a bit to create better contact.  Put the connector back in.

Good luck,
Soren.