Re : Performance Mods

On Monday 2nd Sept 1996, Leigh Caddy wrote:

> I am also thinking of upgrading the performance of the engine.  What are the
> best (and cheapest!!) ways of doing this?

Unfortunately I don't think there is a cheap way of extracting extra power out
of your engine!

One of the cheapest mods is to replace your air filter with a K&N which will
cost you in the region of 40. The main advantage this will give is improved
air flow and as the filters are guaranteed for something like 50,000 miles +
will save you money in the long term. In outright performance terms you
probably won't notice a great deal, but this modification is a pre-requisite if
you intend to go any further in your search for more power.

Next on the list would be a free flow exhaust. There are many, many suppliers
in the UK for performance exhausts. Every man and his dog supplies exhausts for
Fords, Vauxhalls et al, however, the choice for Sciroccos is a little more
limited. I recently put a Jetex on my 1990 GTII which has a stainless steel
twin oval pipe outlet. This cost in the region of 200, but sounds great and
looks the business. Most Scirocco exhausts seem to keep the standard manifold
and downpipe, but I believe you can match the Ansa manifold to the Jetex
exhaust.

Unfortunately you can't 'chip' sciroccos as they always stuck to the K-Jetronic
form of injection. Apart from a few sensors, this is a mechanical injection
system and so doesn't have a 'brain' as such. Later MK2 Golfs were fitted with
Digifant which you can chip, but this was never carried across to UK Sciroccos.

>From here you might want to look at having your head gas flowed (about 200 -
300 pounds depending on how radical you go with valve sizes) and change your
camshaft
(180). Of couse you can also increase the capacity of the engine to either 1.9
or 2.0 litre (lots!!!)

In this months 'VW Motoring', there is an article about 2 Sciroccos which have
been modified in this way. Power outputs quoted are about 155bhp. The 0-60 on
these cars has dropped to the low 7 seconds, with in gear times (30-50, 50-70)
to match a VR6.

produced 112bhp, whilst the 1800 carburettor's gave 90bhp.

Regards,

Sean.