Re: My first cop experience

I had my first cop experience a few days after my 18th b-day.  I got my
first GTI ('91 16V) in the fall of 1993 and my friend had also just got a
new car ( Alfa Spider if anyone cares) so we decide we're both gonna put a
Momo steering wheels in our cars.  We decide to go on a Thursday evening
around 7:00 to Momo Canada located in Montreal.  My GTI was at the dealer
and it was raining that day so my buddy did not take the spider (he is
really anal about his car).  We ended up taking my dad's Grand Am.  When
we got to the place and it was closed.  I park the car so we could look
through the window at the steering wheels which although barred off are
clearly in plain view.  After a bout 5 minutes we get in the car and head
from home.  We drive about 10 kilometers on our way home.  We pass a cop
in his regular hiding place waiting to nab a passing speeder (we were not
speeding BTW).  We keep on driving about 2 more kilometers.  I see the
flashing lights at a distance in my mirror and comment to my friend that
someone got nabbed speeding.  I was in the far left lane on a Montreal
city street and changed to the middle lane to let the cop pass.  He passes
me, then proceeds to cut me off and stop his car in front of mine.  He
runs out of his car and motions to my buddy and me to put our hands on the
dash.  At that time, I hear a knocking on the window motioning us to get
out of the car.  It was a cop in plain cloths although he never showed us
a badge.  They threw us on the car and frisked us.  At that point I looked
back and saw that there was at least 10 cop cars and 2 or 3 more unmarked
cars and they had blocked off the whole city block.  There was a crowd of
people who were staring while they COMPLETELY searched my father's car.
At this point my buddy completely blew up and was about to get areested if
I didn' t sweet talk the cop out of it.  They let us go after their search
turned up nothing.  We were apparently mistaken for a gang of thieves who
had recently broken into the Momo distributor on numerous occasions and
the place was being staked out when we showed up their to buy our steering
wheels.

      * VW GTI - THE ULTIMATE HOT HATCH * Fiorenzo Vetrone           *
      *       1991 GTI 16V (RED)        * e_sasso@alcor.concordia.ca *
      *       1994 GTI 8V (BLACK)       * Concordia University       *
      *         Driver Hired!!          * Montreal, Canada           *