Re:

At 07:49 AM 10/30/96 +0500, you wrote:

I will try and explain whats going on in the "cops" head:

> She proceeds to ask the following:
>How old are you? 17.  Where are you going? Virginia Tech  Why?  I go to
>college there, im coming home from Pa.  Where are you from?  Pa.   She says,
>"Do you know how fast you were going"  I said no, I was just driving.  She
>said 70 (in a 55), and that I sped up after they gunned me.

OK, here she is establishing herself as the one in charge. What I do is, if
the officer is giving me attitude when they're asking me all these questions
is, (Especially the one, "where are you going".) "Thats all none of your
business, officer". Because where you are from, or going has nothing to do
with why you were stopped.
Then she establishes why you were stopped. Speeding.

> Anyway, Then I
>look out the passenger side of my car and see another cop standing there.
>WHY would there be a need for 2 cops on a back road to surround a car with a
>kid inside?

Exactly! Its a back road. If anything happens, she would be all alone with
backup 30 min away. (Simple policy is all.)

>Anyway, I gave my liscence and reg. to the cop, and she
>says,"Get out of the car."  What am I supposed to do,

Your soposed to do whatever any officer tells you to do. Thats what. You do
it, then if you feel it was improper behavior or if your rights were
violated, then you take it thru the legal route. Officers with abuse raps or
complaints dont get promoted.

>I cant stand up for
>myself..there's 2 cops.  How am I supposed to know they wont go bukwild on
>me?

Tell me why they WOULD?? Its not like they are in a pissed off mood and go
looking for a victim. There are plenty of people who deserve to go bukwild
on. As long as your respectful and are not giving attitude, you'll be
treated properly.

>That comes up later in the story.  I got out, followed the lady to the
>police car.  She says 'empty your pockets'.  I didnt have anything illegal,
>so I did.  I pulled the pocketful of change out of my left pocket, showed it
>to her, and put it back in.  She put her hands in both of my pockets and
>searched me.  As far as I know, that's illegal.

Nope, she has the right to search you for anything. All she has to say is
she was looking for a weapon and oh, look, I found some rock..... Thats the
technique they use. It's quite legal my friend.

>That little detail called
>the 4th amendment kicks in.  She said 'this is necessary', I replied, "I
>dont have anything illegal"  Next, she says, "get in the car (police car).
>I kind of did a double take, I couldnt belive she asked me to do this.

She did this for officer safety. I dont know why she didnt let you sit in
your own car. One thing you have to realize is, the east coast is nothing
but a huge drug trafficing highway. The odd hours you were on it is aright
about when its the busiest, for drug trafficers. Im thinking that the
officer put in her car to make you sweat a little. if anything, it was to
scare you while they ran the plate.

>I walked toward the car, they repeated the request. I got in. She filled out
>my ticket while giving me an attitude.  I asked her if in VA it was req'd
>for the person to get in the police car to have the ticket filled out.  She
>said 'no, its up to my discretion'.  "I dont know how they do it in PA", she
>said, "buthere in VA, when a cop asks you to do something, you do it."  I
>asked her if it was legal for me to refuse to get out then.  She said __'you
>take that chance'__ When you think about it, that's a threat.  What reason
>should I have to be taking a chance by defending my constitutional rights.

She's right, when your told, you do it. Although she sounds like she was
overdoing the bitch routine.

>asked to see the gun reading, she said "in VA, I am not required to keep the
>reading on the gun, its my duty to uphold the law as honestly as I can."
>She said, "I dont know where these people get off asking me this', more
>examples of her giving me an attitude.  They waited in their car while I
>changed a cd in mine for about 3 or 4 min.  My court date is Nov. 14, you
>bet Ill be there.  Right here, and on paper, I have it all written down, and
>have told my story to a ton of people.  I have it all right and all complete
>in my head, and Im sure she wont remember the details after a month.  If
>anything, I am filing a complaint for officer CS Compton, some cops see the
>opportunity for a power trip when they see a college kid.  I am kind of
>pissed off that I let them do that shit to me, but then again, I wonder what
>would have happened if I would have defended myself.  Hmm...

Your time for defending yourself is Nov 14th. If you would of tried
anything, verbally or other, you would of just made it worse on yourself. Go
in there with everything you have and if you were speeding, say so to get
onto the officer actions issue. You should file a complaint against her
anyways.
Im sure when your date comes up, she will be happy to explain her actions in
a much friendlier version that what you will remember.

Shawn