Re: My first cop experience

>Uh, its likely he wasnt after you to begin with. They cant clock you if your
>driving the opposit direstion as they are. (Its physically possible, but its
>not any PD's policy to do it. Too many legalities to it to make it stick.
>They would rather stick with tried and true speed trap's.
>More than likely, he got a backup call which was in the other direction.
>We'll never know the real truth..........
>It's all so..... speculative...... :)

Yeah, that's right Shawn.  This is how I found that out for myself:

One time I was racing a corvette (leapfrogging, actually) down a 6 lane
highway, light traffic, and a State trooper was going the other way.  The
corvette and I were going 115mph-120mph when he passed.  It was obvious that
we were speeding by looking at our cars' relative to the others.  Anyway, he
turned around, lights flashing and all, skidded across the grass median w/
dirt flying in all directions and proceeded to follow us.  This is where I
made a bad call.  I put my window down so the guy in the corvette could see
me and signaled, "what now!?!?"  He pointed ahead, as to FLY.  I said no,
I'm on probation!  So I quick hit the brakes and merged in w/ the slowpokes
doing 70, getting ready to get off at the next exit and ditch the cop.
However, a big green sign said ,"next exit, 2 miles", all the while the cop
was gaining and the corvette was gettting out of sight.  So I went back to
the left lane to take off, 3rd....90, 4th....110, next exit.  Cut off, but I
was barely within visibility of the cop, and he followed me off.  He pulled
me over and I jumped out of the car, screaming at him to get the corvette,
that the guy in the vette cut me off and I was just chasing him to give him
a piece of my mine.  The cop put his hand on the gun and told me to get back
in the car...blah blah... he wouldn't approach my car for 20 min until 2
other cops showed for backup.  Then I gave the same story, with some
realistic details like "he scuffed my bumper when he did a triple lane
change".  That really came from a parking lot fiasco which resulted in my
2nd repainting of the bumper, but helped me here.  I said that I feel stupid
for chasing the vette now, officer, because i don't know what I wouldv'e
done when I caught him, and now I'm the one in trouble, sob sob sob.  he
felt pity!  Then I said, so how fast was I going?  75?  80?  Heh heh heh.

Here's the part that applies to your story, shawn.

He said, "Son, you were going EIGHTY THREE MILES AN HOUR!"   [again, i was
doing at least 115]  It was hard to keep from laughing.  I said, "REALLY!
OH MY LORD!  LOOK WHAT I"VE DONE!!!!"  Anyway, he said he felt I had to
learn a lesson from this whole thing, w/ taking the law into my own hands,
so he gave me a ticket for 69mph.  I said, thank you officer.  I'm very
sorry.  He said there was an APB out for the Corvette, and that justice
would be served!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HA HAH AHAH AHAH AAH AH AHAHAH AH

Anyway, after I thought about it, I felt stupid because he just made that
speed up!  He had no way to know how fast I was going.  Could he have given
me a reckless ticket?  Or anything else?  Of course, its too late, but I'm
just wondering how gullable I was.

Chris Taylor
'87 16v Scirocco

West Ambler Johnston Hall