Reanimate '81 S?

Hello listies:

        I've been driving an '88 Honda Accord LXi aerodeck/hatchback the
last 1.5 years (I can hear the hissing already).  My previous car was an
'81 Scirocco S which was as unreliable as it was fun.  I loved the Scirocco
mkI since I first caught a gander of it in 1975 and I finally became an
owner in '87.  I still have it sitting in the back yard, unregistered,
uninsured, and barely running but I still get a charge out of looking at
it.  The electrical system has been a source on unending headaches, and the
engine runs poorly and hemorrhages alarming amounts of oil, but I still
can't bear to part with it even though all my friends think I'm crazy for
holding onto it.
        Cut to the present.  Two weeks ago, some kid in a Mustang GT
convertible runs a red light and totals my Accord.  I love my Accord and
want to replace it with the same model but who knows when I can find one
that I like at the right price?  In the meantime I need a ride and am
wondering if it'd make sense to try to get the Scirocco running.  I would
bet billions that it would not pass smog.  So I'm thinking along the lines
of an engine transplant (rather than rebuilding my 1.7 which always seemed
wheezy).
        I know that this has been argued to death but can someone suggest
the easiest, cheapest, bangest for the buck motor?  I'd like a turboed VR6
under the hood as much as the next list member but right now I'm looking
for good but reliable power.  I guess the 1.8L with the hydraulic head has
gotten good recommendations but is the 2.0 a better move?  I live in
Pasadena (Los Angeles), California so suggestions for places to look for a
motor along with shops which can pull off the swap would also be
appreciated.  Or should a klutz like me take a stab at it myself?
        Feel free to talk me out of sinking any more money into the car
since my judgement is clouded by Scirocco-itis; plus, it's got a
mindnumbing list of things to be fixed on it (I guess 200,000+ miles take
their toll).  Private email is fine although I'd appreciate it if the
anti-Honda hate mail is kept to a minimum  :)  Thanks a lot in advance,
benton------

YbOeSnHtIoDnA