Re: Oil light?

At 09:10 AM 10/27/96 -0800, you wrote:

>        I'm new to list and to owning a scirocco. I've had my 84 for about 4
>months. I bought it off my friend because he was sick of spending money on
>it all the time, which happens when you have to put a new engine in it
>because you forget to check the coolant and warp the head really bad.
>Anyways I got a problem I thought sombody might be able to help me with. I
>was driving my car at 6am(to go to hockey practice) and as I was approching
>a stop sign my oil light started flashing and the car seemed to die(
>couldn't tell because the stereo was too loud). I shut the car off and then
>turned it back on. I drove the 20km to my friends house and then to the
>arena and it didn't happen again. I checked the oil level and it was fine.
>Could it be the oil pump? Maybe I should change the oil and the oil filter?
>Or just a shitty sensor? This is the second time it has happened (both going
>to hockey at 6am). Please help

Thats the cars way of saving itself. If you get low oil pressure, it shuts
off the engine so you dont drive it with no oil pressure and blow it up.
Did it shut of (flashing light) both times at a stop sign?
Soulds like oil puck up problems. It could be that the screen in front of
the tube is clogged.
It could be that the oil pump is old and when its hot, not pumping as much
as it should. (Especially at low rpm's)
It could be a bad sensor!
I would change the oil, filter and sensor since its the cheapest thing to
replace. Chances are, its as old as the car, so you would be doing yourself
as favor!

Shawn