Re: gear speeds and RPMS questions

At 09:38 PM 10/24/96 +0600, you wrote:
>At 09:04 PM 10/24/96 -0500, you wrote:
>>-- [ From: Josh Clark * EMC.Ver #2.5.02 ] --
>>
>>Does the car suddenly shut off?  That's what the stock rev limiter does.  Or
>>does it just stop and go no further.  If it's the later then the rev limiter
>>or computer is definately messed up or the tach could be reading wrong.  You
>>had your trans fised right?  They could have messed up the speedo cable
>>somehow which sounds more likely.  I doubt they touched the computer.  You
>>definately have another date with your mechanic though =)
>>Josh Clark
>
>Stock rev limiter on what kind of car?  My limiter doesn't turn my car
>off!!!!  That's ridiculous.  What if I hit the red in 4th (@110mph), and the
>car turned off, IN GEAR!?!?!  My transmission would come up through the
floor!

>Anyway, my rev limiter, when it kicks in at @ 7200, will make my car 'bob'.
>It will toggle between like 7k and 7.2k until I let off the gas.
>RrRrRrRrRrRrRr is the sound, if you can picture that.
>
>Second vote for confronting the mechanic, however.

I thought it was the project GTi this was on. if it didnt do this before you
took thecar to the mechanic, id return it to the mechanic.
But first, what did he do to the car? what was fixed?
I test drove an 87 GLi that wouldnt do over 4,000 without having it cut out
on me. Needless to say, I didnt buy that car.
For those who dont know, a rev limiter keeps us crazy redliners (except for
those of us that dont got this nasty feature) from exploding our engines. It
does this by getting a signal from the tachometer that tells the computer
that, "HELLO,  its at redline". the computer reacts by telling the ignition
coil to stop working for a little bit. Once the tach gets the signal that
its below the redline, then it lets the coil run again. The RrRrRrRrRrRrRr
sound is it cycling from, "RUN, STOP! RUN, STOP! RUN, STOP! RUN, STOP! RUN,
STOP! RUN, STOP! RUN, STOP" but it does this many times within a second. If
you have ever watched the motorcycles drag race on Tv, you hear them put the
engine to redline, on the rev limiter, until they launch! (its amazing they
can do that.) Anyways, thats how its soposed to work. 8V cars redline is at
a different RPM. 6250 to 6400, depending on the car. Thats also changeable
to a different number by jumping pins in the computer and there is even a
way to turn off the rev limiter.

Take it back to the mechanic!

Shawn