Re: gear speeds and RPMS questions

At 04:26 PM 10/24/96 -0400, you wrote:
>I just got my car back from my mechanic $494 bill.

This is with the 16V installed in the GTI?? WOW, that was fast!!

>The car runs awesome now, but I now think something else is wrong.
>
>If I put it in 3rd and floor it, I hot about 75MPH@6000RPMS and the car cuts
>out just like hitting the rev limiter. Shouldn't the revlimiter be at
>7200RPMs or so? Also I could have sworn I used to hit ~88-90MPH at redline
>in 3rd gear. Maybe I was fooling myself or something?

Sounds like you still had 1200 rpms to go. Right? As for it cutting out, I
dont know know why your rev limiter would have kicked in at 6G. You used the
brain from the 16V right? then it should start working at 7200. Something is
a miss in there. Time for a 16V expert to show his face in here.......

>Could my Tach be inaccurate?
>Also I think my speedo reads a little fast since I have 15" wheels on the car.

No, the tach will be working fine if it worked fine before.
What size tires do you have? 195/50/15 should read pretty accurate.

>WHat are typical in gear speeds for a 16V Scirocco. I know you need to know
>what tranny I have, but whats typical. I have an 8V transmission but I don't
>know the code.
>I can get about 50MPH in 2nd and 75 in 3rd haven't tried 4th or 5th yet. I
>swear I used to be able to touch 60MPH in second before.

Sounds like you have the "FF" tranny if your getting 60mph in 2nd gear. I
get 64mph at redline (6250 rpm) in my 8V with the "FF" tranny.

Shawn