AC/Heater Core

I have suffered for many years with a leaky heater core, mostly
because of the cost and labor intensive nature of this project.
I have recently priced a new core at around $50, which I would
like to put in before the winter fog-fest returns.

What I need to know is, will I have to pull the evaporator and/or
evacuate the AC?  It isn;t some damned combo unit is it?  I have
never been in there before.  I see in the Bentley manual that the
non-AC core is very accessible, but the AC version seems to be
buried.  I am thinking that I should replace the evap anyway, since
it is supposedly leaky.  I do intend at least to refurb the fan motor.

Your words of wisdom would be appreciated...

Miles Lott (http://www.insync.net/~milos)
KTXH Ch. 20 in Houston, TX :
Home of the Rockets!!!