Re: Emissions Testing in your area

At 10:37 PM 10/15/96 -0400, you wrote:
>Hi.  I'm doing a project for school that involves writing a piece of
>legislature that would revamp the vehicle emissions testing procedures in my
>state.  Here in Kentucky, there is a specific center that everyone in that
>locality has to go to, and it is super inconvenient.  I know that in Georgia
>lots of gas stations are able to test emissions.  What is it like where
>everyone else lives?
>
>Any feedback you guys could give me on this subject would be greatly
>appreciated.  Just tell me how it is where you live.  Thanks!
>-Sean Clark

Well Sean, (you spell your name funny too.) Here in California, we have set
the standards for emissions control. its been a model for all states to use
for their emissions standards as well. I can tell you, other than Germany,
(Where i lived for 3 years) where they have tougher vehicle inspection
regulations than that go much further than just emissions than here but I
like them, Calif has the highest standards for just emissions. Calif doesnt
get into the other vehicle inspection game which is nothing more than a
revenue source for the states that use it.
Germany has an inspection that covers the vehicle. It strictly enforces
rules of power to weight and brake HP as well as rust on cars! (some of it I
can understand  for safety reasons but, get real onb the rust thing.)
Other states need to try and get a system for their drivers so they only
have to smog their cars every 2 years. I think thats reasonable and shows
responsability as an owner/driver.
I know of some states that require yearly inspections and you have to go to
selected STATE RUN stations for the inspections and REPAIRS! Thats plane
RAPE as I see it.
Calif is simple for the most part. you take your car to any certified
service station (or dealer, whatever) and for a fee from $14.00 to $27.00
you get the vehicles emmissions tested. Pass and you get a certificate
saying you passed and then you can register your car. Fail and your required
to repair the car but your limited as to how much you have pay before you
dont have to pass smog. Its called taking it to the referee which will tell
you if your car is legal to drive or not. (That part im not too sure about
since ive never gone to one ever. My car has always passes, even without a
cat!)
Thats my view of it.

Shawn