Re: Rusty brakes

At 04:40 PM 10/11/96 -0500, you wrote:

>>How long do you plan on leaving it outside? How long do you plan on noy
>>driving it?
>>If its just for a few months, id say dont worry about it and when you do
>>drive it again, just be easy on the brakes and the pads will clean off the
>>rust for you. after a few days, it will be back to the way it was before.
>>If your gonna leave it outside, then get a good cover on the car and just
>>turn the rotors when you go to drive it again. In fact, you might just want
>>to remove the pads/rotors from the car since its an easy thing to do. Then
>>keep them inside where they wont be affected by the weather ad bad.
>>Dont to forget to put a note on the steering wheel reminding you that there
>>are NO BRAKES on the car so you or someone doesnt go for a little drive!
>>Thats all I have to say about that......
>>
>>Shawn
>>
>>--
>Shawn,
>        I'm not so sure about this approach.  If he did this, he would leave
>the calipers much more exposed, and when they freeze, they are a bit more
>expensive than rotors and pads.  Maybe if he bagged them up with a desicant
>(moisture eater), but even that seems extreme.

David:
I disagree. The calipers would be just as exposed even with the rotors and
pads installed. Unless of course you are talking about the caliper being
extended and the normally internal parts of the caliper being exposed. You
do have a point there but thats simply cured with a calipar compressor OR a
chunk of wood would work also.
(Id use the compressors myself, but then again, id never park my SKE! unless
it for some reason looses all power and leaves me on the freeway, like it
did a few days ago, but thats another blabber session...)

Shawn
San Diego
82' Scirocco GTi
86' Jetta GLi